Men Think This Habit Is a Sign of Success. Women Think It’s a Sign of Insecurity

Business Communication

There is one habit which is meant by men to be a sign of strength, but women perceive it quite differently. That habit is bragging. There are three alternatives to telling us how great they are that men can use while still being able to make a good impression:

For example, men should listen more than talk:

I was once sitting next to a couple on a first date at a dinner in Palo Alto. I watched as the guy talked and talked, volume rising, and the woman didn’t say a word. When she went to the restroom, I intervened, suggesting he start asking questions. He did, and I bet they had a second date.

It’s so important to ask about our day, our interests, our thoughts and dreams. Show others that you value their opinions and empathize with another’s concerns. A good rule is the 70/30 rule: you talk 30 percent of the time, the other talks 70 percent (particularly as a man talking with a woman).

To learn about the other two alternatives, please click here to read the entire article!


Business Communication

Image Credit: Fotolia/Romolo Tavani

9 Ways Happy People Balance Work and Life

Work Life Balance

There are nine simple steps people can take to get closer to a happier, more balanced life.

For example, employees should set boundaries at work:

Once you know what you want, you have to set expectations in the workplace to achieve these goals. Maybe you’re home early three afternoons a week, but you’re available during certain hours after the kids go to bed.

Decide what types of situations you really need to respond to and learn how to say “no” and delegate more to your team. Another option is creating a job-share with coworkers.

To learn about the other eight steps, please click here to read the entire article!


Work Life Balance

Image Credit: 123rf/flynt

7 Secrets to Stopping Fights and Conflicts on Your Team

Team Management

There are seven easy ways managers can stop culture clashes before they hurt business.

For example, managers should do their homework:

Study up on cultural nuances so that you know expectations and habits. For example, in my experiences, many Japanese like to have printed presentations to follow along as you speak.

To learn about the other six recommendations, please click here to read the entire article!


Team Management

Image Credit: 123rf/DimaSobko

3 Things CEOs Do to Run Successful Multi-Million Dollar Businesses Globally

Global Business

There are three moves business leaders make to take companies global (and make millions).

For example, they recruit competent talent:

Recruiting globally requires a whole different strategy than in the U.S. It must be tailored to fit the labor laws, culture, and societal perspective of that country. For example, during an interview in the U.S., personal questions about religion or family life are off-limits but are almost expected in Latin America.

In Europe, they’ll be more concerned with showing you certificates and degrees. In India, competition is so fierce, you may be confronted with a whole other set of challenges you didn’t expect.

To learn about the other two indispensable moves, please click here to read the entire article!


European Business

Image Credit: Peshkov

3 Things Global Business Travelers Can’t Live Without (As Featured in Inc.)

Global Travel

There are three things I consider essential for global travel.

For example, I never leave on an international trip without vitamins:

The last souvenir you want to bring back from an otherwise productive trip is a head cold or unshakable fatigue. Taking vitamins can go a long way in fortifying yourself against germs. You are going to be in closely packed spaces, sharing more than the agenda. I rely on vitamins and two supplements: COLD-FX and Traumeel.

To learn about the other two indispensable items, please click here to read the entire article!


European Business

Image Credit: 123rf/HongqiZhang

5 Things You Need to Know Before Doing Business in Europe (As Featured in Inc.)

European BusinessThere are 5 principles executives need to understand before doing business in Europe.

For example, one of my recommendations is it’s what you know, not who you know:

A European will measure your worth by how much you know about current events, the world, and historical happenings. A good businessperson is well educated, intellectual and able to discuss topics of the day.

Inform yourself before you go abroad so you can speak to the context you’re in. More importantly, bring something new to the table–don’t just repeat the latest headlines. Europeans value knowledge, and you’ll impress them greatly if they walk away feeling they learned something, even if it has nothing to do with the business at hand.

To learn about the other four principles, please click here to read the entire article!


European Business

Image Credit: 123rf/senoldo