Global Leadership – Skills Global Leaders Need
Skills global leaders need to be successful:
- Experience living abroad.
- Cultural sensitivity, collaborative skills and a greater focus on emotional competencies.
- The ability to accept that a particular situation my not be like anything they are familiar with.
- The capacity to motivate, influence and enable individuals across cultures to uphold corporate culture and accomplish company goals.
- Travel often and participate face-to-face in meetings with colleagues from the location.
- Practice getting comfortable with ambiguity.
- Be open to new ways of doing things, spend more time listening and less time speaking.
- Commit to Global Leadership Development programs or participate in seminars.
- Understand what’s going on-line and use all forms of technology to communicate with team members located globally.
Many say that we are at a leadership deficit in the business world and not only do we need existing leaders to improve their global skills, we need 1000s more truly developed leaders who can think, act and lead globally. Leadership is becoming more and more important in terms of motivating employees, facilitating new innovations, and driving projects forward. Are your leaders and is your organization prepared?
We’ll talk more in detail next month on how to assess and find the right global leaders.